Waves of Winter
We’re stoked to join forces with North Devon World Surfing Reserve once again for our visual media social competition: Waves of Winter. This competition offers the opportunity for you to showcase the true spirit of the North Devon Surf Reserve through photography and this year short video content too.
If you enter, you can win £100 worth of Saltrock vouchers, be a part of a featured display at the British Surf Museum and be featured on Saltrock and NDWSR social media accounts! This competition is a dream come for any wave enthusiast and visual media lover, covering three categories.
• Best Landscape
• Best Surfing Manoeuvre
• Best Stoke/ Lifestyle (capturing the spirit and atmosphere of the surfing reserve)
About North Devon World Surfing Reserve
The North Devon World Surfing Reserve covers a surf zone of 30km of coastline including surf spots such as Croyde, Saunton, Woolacombe, and Lynmouth. Surf spots can be protected in the same way we protect national parks like Exmoor, recognising the huge importance of world-class surfing beaches to our environment, local economy and communities that live here.
The NDWSR is steered by a Local Stewardship Council who share and foster good practice, while tackling broader issues that bear upon the surfing experience in North Devon. The group comprises governing bodies, NGOs, environmental groups, local community groups, surf clubs, businesses and landowners, all coming together to work towards agreed goals and shared ideals to protect the local surf breaks and surrounding ecosystem for future-generations.
North Devon: The 12th World Surfing Reserve
In March 2022, North Devon was officially designated as the 12th World Surfing Reserve, joining world class locations such as Malibu, Santa Cruz, and many more under the flagship programme of https://www.savethewaves.org/programs/. The North Devon World Surf Reserve is the first is the first of its kind in the UK with the best waves arriving on the shoreline during the winter season.
Waves of Winter Competition 2022
Last year's competition at the North Devon World Surfing Reserve was a real hit, and let me tell you, it got folks buzzing with excitement! We were blown away by the response from the surfing community and all you passionate photography enthusiasts out there. Can you believe it? We received a whopping 285 entries, each one capturing the essence of the North Devon World Surfing Reserve. The contest's popularity was a testament to the strong bond between surfers, outdoor enthusiasts and the reserve's world-class scenery and waves.
Here are last years winners for some inspiration:
Photo Credit: N and M Photography, Esterspearspix and eva.surf
How to Participate in The Waves of Winter Competition 2023
This year we’re advancing the competition further by allowing video content of up to minute to be entered! Participating in this fantastic contest is simple. All you need to do is capture the North Devon World Surfing Reserve in all its glory during this winter season (November-March). Here's how to enter:
1. Follow @northdevonworldsurfingreserve and @saltrock_clothing.
2. Take photos or videos within the North Devon World Surfing Reserve and post to Instagram tagging both accounts.
3. Use the hashtag #ndwsrwinterwaves when posting.
Waves of Winter Judges
Our panel of judges comprises three experts, including the editor of Carve Surf Mag, Andrew ‘Cotty’ Cotton, UK big wave surfer and the stewardship of NSWDR.
Competition Terms and Conditions
- Follow us @northdevonworldsurfingreserve and @saltock_clothing.
- Tag us into your photo @northdevonworldsurfingreserve and @saltock_clothing and use #ndwsrwinterwaves on Instagram.
- Images and videos submitted must have been taken in the North Devon World Surfing Reserve, this winter.
- Please get consent from the people within the photograph before you submit.
- Do not include watermarks, borders, or signatures on your entry.
- You can submit any number of photos or videos under each category.
- We will share your images on our social accounts and give you credit in the caption.
- Entrants under 18 years require permission of a parent and guardian. By entering the contest, entrants under the age of 18 years indicate they have gained permission of a parent and guardian.
- We aim to notify winners within 14 days of the closing date.
- All participants agree to allow North Devon World Surfing Reserve (NDWSR) and affiliates the right to use the images.
- Saltrock and North Devon World Surfing Reserve have the right to cancel the competition at any time deemed necessary or if circumstances arise outside the Society’s control.
- Closing date of the competition 3rd March 2024
- Any photographic or video equipment can be used.